Frequently Asked Questions
Is there a minimum run quantity?
This can vary depending on a number of factors. Under most circumstances, SPM has these minimums:
- 150 parts for our single spindle department
- 1500 parts for our 5/8" thru 1-3/4" Wickman department
- 750 parts for our 2-5/8" thru 3-1/4" department
- As few as 10 parts for our CNC Turning & Milling departments.
What's the significance of Wickman Screw Machines?
Our Wickman screw machines show their advantage over our single-spindle machines most in the cycle time required to make each part. On a single-spindle screw machine machine, only one tool at a time is presented to the workpiece on only one spindle. Our Wickmans have multiple tools located at each of the six spindle positions, where all machining happens at once.
Can SPM assist with design for new parts or suggest changes that save money on existing parts?
SPM is always happy to assist with machining methods, raw material and finish applications. With challenging parts, often a slight design or tolerance change will allow a challenging part use a cheaper machining process. Upload a sketch or give us a call and we'll take a look!
Which materials are you able to machine?
Here is a list of materials we commonly run.
- Stainless Steel: 303, 304/L, 316/L, 416, 420, 17/4 and Other Special grades.
- Low and Medium Carbon: 1018, 1050, 1117, 11L17, 1141, 1144, 12L14, 1215, stress-proof, fatigue-proof.
- Plastic: Nylon, Delrin, Acetal, Teflon, Polypropylene, PVC, and HDPE.
- Aluminum: 6061, 2011, 2024, 5083/86 H-111.
- Alloy Steel: 4140, 41L40/42, 4150, 8620, 86L20.
- Copper: 110, 142, 145, 101.
- Brass: 360, 464, 485.
Do you perform your own secondary operations in house?
Yes! We perform all of our secondary operations, such as cylindrical grinding, milling, drilling, honing, tapping and deburring, all in-house. All finish processing such as, heat treating, plating, anodizing, and other types of coatings, etc., are subcontracted to locally approved outside suppliers.
SPMs price looks great in higher quantities, but we don't want to stock so many parts.
We are able to manufacture your 6 month or yearly requirement, inventory the parts for up to a year, and then ship from this stock in monthly, quarterly, or biannual releases. Keep in mind that no design or revision changes can be made on stocked parts.
What is the normal lead-time for most products?
Normally, lead-times are approximately 2-3 weeks, depending on our work load and the complexity of your part. SPM always strives to be your best on-time production source.
How many shifts do you operate?
Currently, we operate on a single shift from 6:00am until 2:30pm Pacific time, with our office open until 4:30pm.
Is your company ISO 9000 certified?
Yes, we are ISO 9001-2008 certified. Small Parts Mfg. Co. has been recently recertified to the most recent revision of the ISO 9001-2008, on Nov 27,
- Platinum Registration auditors determined the company meets International Organization for Standardization requirements for Custom maching services to Customer Specifications... Please see our Certification by clicking on the ISO Logo on our home page.